I got this notice yesterday for a new camp being offered in my town:
Can’t get your child to eat veggies?
Send them to The GREAT Vegetable Mystery, a week of cooking, singing, songwriting and art all about VEGETABLES! Whole food chef and holistic nutrition educator Monica Corrado and singer/songwriter and visual artist Rachel Cross are teaming up to lead this week-long summer camp for children ages 9 to 12, Monday-Friday, August 3-7 from 9a-1:30pm in Takoma Park/Silver Spring. This is not about hiding vegetables in their food; it’s about having children get to know fresh, local vegetables in the kitchen. While they learn how to soup, salad, puree, pickle, and bake, they will also discover the answers to the following questions:
- what color veggie is highest in Vitamin C?
- does it matter if veggies are raw or cooked? naked or dressed?
- what vegetable can help you feel better when you have a cold?
- can fries and chips are good for you? which ones? why?
- what process maximizes nutrients in the vegetables you eat, and helps you digest your food?
They’ll be eating kale before the week is out!J